Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that can be stored in the body longer than water-soluble vitamins. This vitamin acts as a pro-hormone and it affects not only the hormone balance but also the immune system. Vitamin D also helps the bones absorb calcium, so lack of vitamin D may result in weak bones, autoimmune diseases, skin problems, depression and cancer.
One of the common ingredients of most testosterone supplements, vitamin D has the ability to increase testosterone concentrations. According to studies, men with insufficient levels of vitamin D also have low level testosterone.
The easiest way to get vitamin D is by spending 20 to 25 minutes in the sun. This allows your body to absorb vitamin D, but if you do not have enough time to expose your skin to sunlight, you may not get enough vitamin D that your body needs. Here are some ways to get vitamin D (http://www.testosteronebasso.it/testosterone-troppo-alto/).
Ways to Get Vitamin D
- Fatty Fish – Fatty fish are good sources of vitamin D. Include trout, tuna, mackerel, salmon, or eel in your diet to increase the level of vitamin D in your body. It also benefits your heart with its omega-3 fatty acids. If there are no fresh fish available, you can always enjoy a can of tuna or cod liver oil.
- Mushrooms – There are mushrooms that provide vitamin D, such as Dole’s Portobello Mushrooms.
- Fortified Milk – Drink a glass or two of fortified milk. An 8-ounce glass of milk contains 100 IUs.
- Eggs – Eggs are not only for breakfast, but also for lunch and dinner. Its egg yolk contains 40IUs of vitamin D. However, 1 egg has 200 milligrams of cholesterol. The recommended consumption is not more than 300 milligrams a day.
- Beef liver – 3.5 ounce serving of beef liver offers 50 IUs of vitamin D. It also contains iron, protein, and vitamin A.
- Supplements – Vitamin D supplements can help you get the right level of vitamin D in your body. See your doctor to determine the right dosage.
Most testosterone supplements include vitamin D in their ingredients because it helps not only with strengthening the bones and building muscle mass, but also with weight management. Other benefits of vitamin D include:
- Muscle strength
- Healthy sperms and prostate
- Proper erectile function
- Maintains healthy bones
- Boosts immune system and brain function
If you have decided to take vitamin D supplements, make sure that you take the right dosage for you. Excessive dosages can result in toxicity.